Tuesday 7 June 2011

Do online interviews show ambition?

"A critical exploration of face-to face interviewing vs. computer-mediated interviewing" is a expressive article exploring the idea that fewer people complete online interviews when compared to face to face interviews. The study shows that people find it harder to complete online interviews, because they have trouble expressing their feelings, ideas, or opinions in writing.

Personally, I dislike online interviews, from a job-hunting perspective, because I don't trust companies that won't meet me face to face (and it's their loss because I know I'm a hard worker). Maybe because I feel like they have something to hide, and right up front, it seems like they treat their workers like drones because they won't meet me face to face like a real human being.

But I wonder: Is the person who completes a strenuous online interview, a more suitable candidate because they have put more effort into completing an online interview, and therefore have more drive and ambition? I guess if it is a computer company. Maybe. Or are these companies losing potential candidates to other companies because they won't put in the effort to have a face-to-face interview?

You can easily find this article in the Kwantlen library database: International Journal of Market Research; 2001 Quarter 4, Vol.43 Issue 4, p361-375, 15p

Note: This article is really long (but interesting). For this argument sake, read under the header "Sampling Issues" on pg. 368

3 comments:

  1. I myself feel that it's better to meet in person, (unless you live 1,000s of kilometers away.) My family also agrees that interviews online, aren't as accurate, or good as doing and interview in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, there are also hybrid, computer-mediated-andAND-face-to-face interviews, via SKYPE.

    Has anyone used SKYPE for work yet? If so, please tell us why and how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with the online interview process, I do not believe it shows ambition. In fact,I believe it shows the opposite. It's really easy to send 100 applications online, and there is a negative correlation between quantity and quality in your efforts to apply for jobs. It is also very easy to hide behind a computer since it serves as a "shield" that would otherwise expose your real self.

    ReplyDelete