Tuesday 2 August 2011

Leaving the Job

I sometimes wonder what the best way to communicate your 2 weeks notice to your boss.

A friend of mine dropped a rumour around the workplace that she had found another job, and by the time she gave her manager her two weeks notice, he accepted the news without shock. So was this rude and not courteous or did this tactic soften the blow for her manager?

I hate to see that initial shock of the manager when you tell them that you want to quit. Any time I have changed jobs they have asked me why I wanted to leave. I didn't want to say "I hate retail", so I said "I feel that I have more of an opportunity to grow in another position.

It's hard to stay on your company's "good side" when you want to quit, but it is essential. If you leave in a storm, the storm is going to haunt you for the rest of your career. Think of the industry that you work in, like a highschool class. You can get in a fight with a student, but you will always see them in the halls. So make your "quitting" as peaceful as possible by being positive in your manner and maybe show that you are regretful that you are leaving, but in a way that shows that you want to move on to better your career.

1 comment:

  1. I myself wouldn't want to rudely leave a job, and talk about having found a better job.
    If ever you would find a better job, and have to fill out the "previous jobs section, and phone number," on the application form, your old boss might say some bad things about you, to the place that you want to get a job at.
    Here's a situation to think about: If you'd ever lose your new, and better job, and would want to work at the place that you rudely left from, and they're hiring 5 people, then your boss might put you down 1 or 2 spots on the hiring list. If you're lucky, your boss would want you back if you're experienced, and did well at the job. This is just something good to maybe think about.

    ReplyDelete